Makan @ Founder Rou Gu Cha (Bak Kut Teh)

Brother Benny's birthday is drawing near and he's yearning to eat the Founder Rou Gu Cha @ Balestier Road. I've never been there so I do a google search and manage to find a review from IeatIshootIpost -- $8 for a bowl of 2pcs prime pork ribs!!! I'm wondering if it really taste so good that it's worth the value.

After trying out, my verdict is... let the picture tell the story...












The braised Pork Trotter is well marinated and taste great, and I do not find tons of oil in the gravy itself. Thus, highly recommended, not all of us eat the fatty portion but as you can see, we basically finished the pork trotter...
The mixed pig organ soup comes with a reasonable mix of the pig organs with slices of pork.

The Bak Kut Teh soup is in Teochew style and has a nice peppery flavor and the prime pork ribs are tender and yet not overcooked, very good control over the cooking time. These ribs comes in a reasonable portion, though $8 for a bowl of 2 is rather expensive, but is definitely worth the value... We have had 2x refill in the soup and yet we still almost managed to finish all...

The salted vege (咸菜 / 雪菜) is very nicely cooked with a bit sweet flavor but yet retaining the salty flavor. Most times, in other restaurants / stalls, these are cooked with too much of sugar and thus the sweetness is very artificial.
Asked if I will go again given its price. I would say, YES! Nice flavored Bat Kut Teh soup and side dishes. Best of all is, I never felt thirsty after the meal, meaning there must be nil or minimal MSG used in the cooking. Thumbs up!

Comments

  1. Hi,

    I am a student from Ngee Ann Polytechnic and is currently doing a newspaper project. As I am doing an article on Founder Rou Gu Cha Cafeteria, I need a photograph of the dish. Hence, I am writing to ask for your permission to use the first photograph in this entry.

    My e-mail is soonqianhua@hotmail.com

    Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon.

    Regards,
    Qian Hua

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts